Rancheros Visitadores Collection
Scope and Contents
The Rancheros Visitadores Collection consists of materials most likely related to artist Joe De Yong's participation and membership in the Rancheros Visitadores riding group. Most of the correspondence in this collection is addressed to De Yong and the dates of the rosters correspond to his lifetime.
In addition to correspondence, this collection contains a variety of publications created by the Rancheros Visitadores, including camp rosters, anniversary publications, ride logs, and group histories. Loose materials that were enclosed within publications have been separated out for preservation, but are still foldered with their original housing.
The latter half of the collection holds graphic materials related to the Rancheros Visitadores, including illustrations created by several different members of the organization. There is also a large illustrated panel, which is housed separately from the rest of the collection.
- Creation: 1935-1950, not dated
- Rancheros Visitadores (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The Rancheros Visitadores Collection has no restrictions and is available for research. If you are interested in researching the materials, please contact the Dickinson Research Center to make an appointment.
Conditions Governing Use
The Rancheros Visitadores Collection is the property of the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. Materials, even if owned by the NCWHM, may be protected under third party copyright. It is the patron’s responsibility to research and secure any such additional copyright and pay any required fees or royalties. It is not the intention of the NCWHM to impede upon any third party rights, and the NCWHM cannot be held responsible if the patron is involved in legal action due to violation of third party copyright claims.
Biographical / Historical
Los Rancheros Visitadores is an invitation-only men's riding group. In the late 1920s Edward Borein and Elmer Awl had the idea to recreate the historic practice of ranchers riding in tandem to work cattle on various ranches, Their first ride, planned by Awl and Harvey McDonald, was six miles long. 65 men participated in the ride and gathered to have a luncheon afterwards.
John J. Mitchell organized the first official ride of the Rancheros Visitadores in 1930, with 90 men participating in the four day ride. T. Wilson Diblee, one of the first riders, suggested the name 'Los Rancheros Visitadores,' which was quickly adopted by the group. By the time of their silver anniversary ride in 1955, the Rancheros Visitadores numbered over 500. After WWII, the riders split into camps of 50 men, which is evidenced in the camp rosters included in this collection.
The Rancheros Visitadores still ride to this day through the Santa Ynez Valley in California, now numbering almost 700 members.
0.42 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Rancheros Visitadores Collection contains materials related to the riding group Rancheros Visitadores and its trail rides, including schedules, organization publications, invitations, and member correspondence. The majority of the correspondence is addressed to artist Joe De Yong, and a photograph of De Yong is included in the collection. The collection also contains an oversized watercolor, ink, and graphite panel.
The Rancheros Visitadores Collection was purchased by the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in 2022 from Old West Events. It was lot #668 from the Dick Flood Sr. and Daro Flood Collection.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description